Have trouble playing MKV videos on PS4? Here you will find the reason and the best solution to solve MKV and PS4 incompatible problems.
The Sony PS4 (PlayStation 4) offer you almost everything ranging from hundreds of video games, a variety of add-ons and free-playable demos. Another feature is to play particular videos. Although Sony claims that the PS4 supports MKV files, many people are have encountered varies problems during the playback, such as the subtitles don’t appear or can’t open the files at all. What’s matter? Well, the PS4 can recognize MKV videos, well, only in the condition of compressing with the supported codec. Namely, the game console has nothing to do with those MKV files with the unmatched codec. Luckily, this problem is easy to solve — all you have to do is convert the MKV videos to PS4 compatible format. Once you have, you can PS4 media player to enjoy the converted MKV videos that are saved on USB storage devices or media servers.
To encode/re-encode MKV to PS4 quickly and easily, EaseFab Video Converter is highly recommended. This program features high efficiency and seamless conversion. With it, you can fast encode/re-encode AVI to PS4 compatible format with original video quality, so you can quickly and easily enjoy your AVI files to ensure a smooth playback. If you’re using a Mac, simply turn to the Video Converter for Mac, which has the same function as the Windows version. Now download the right program according to Computer OS and follow the step-by-step guide to learn how to convert MKV to a fully compatible video format with PS4.
How to Convert MKV to PS4 Compatible Format in clicks
Step 1. Import MKV files into the program
Here you can directly drag & drop the MKV files to the converter, or click “Add Video” button to load MKV files. Batch conversion is supported so that you can add multiple video files to convert at a time.
Step 2. Choose the output format
Click “Profile” and find “Game Hardware” category. As you see, this program provides optimized presets for PS3 and PSP. So in this step, you can just choose the ready PS3 or PS3 HD preset for PS4 as the output format, which will remove all the incompatibility issue when playing MKV movies on PS4.
Tip: If the default video/parameters can’t meet your needs, just click Settings icon to adjust the video codec, bitrate, frame rate, audio sample rate, etc to get a decent video as you want. In principle, the larger input values, the better output quality, but the corresponding larger file size.
Step 3. Start MKV to PS4 conversion
Pressing the “Convert” button, the program begins to Convert MKV to PS4 immediately. See, it is so easy to achieve your goal. Why not take an action now! Once you own the program, you can make it.
How to Play converted MKV files on PS4?
After all, the PlayStation 3 allowed you to not only play videos, but also store them locally on the hard drive. Unfortunately the latter is not possible with the PS4 (yet!), but you can use a USB stick to play your favourite videos, and here’s how.
1. Your USB stick needs to be in FAT32 or exFAT (the latter didn’t work for me, and NTFS definitely won’t work). This means that 4GB+ files may be an issue so cut them down to size if need be.
2. Windows 7/8 don’t make it easy to format your drives to FAT32, so you will have to download a third party piece of software here: FAT32Format
3. FAT32Format will allow you to format the drive very quickly to FAT32.
4. If this still doesn’t work, you may have to go for a full format.
* Go to Start Menu -> Type CMD in Search Programs and Files, right-click to run as admin [Windows 7]
* Right-click Start button -> Select Command Prompt (Admin) [Windows 8/8.1]
* Type “format i: /FS:FAT32” without the quotes, where i is replaced with whatever the USB drive is, be sure to get the right drive.
* Press enter and it should start formatting, but it will take a few hours depending on the size of the drive.
5. Create a folder on the USB stick, and place all videos into this folder. It doesn’t need to be called PS4, just needs to be a folder, else you won’t see anything.
6. Audio needs to be in a folder called Music.
7. You can now go into the Media Player and select the USB stick from the list to watch your videos. Media Servers on your network will also be listed here i.e. Plex etc.